Author Topic: hondatunedbboy's 1992 EG J35A1 Forever Build  (Read 278 times)

Offline hondatunedbboy

• Helpfulness: +0/-0
    • View Profile
hondatunedbboy's 1992 EG J35A1 Forever Build
« on: June 21, 2017, 03:07:34 am »
As the title states, this build has been going on forever mainly because it's one of those projects I started, stopped, and never really paid much attention to. Had my ups and downs with the EG shell, even sold it for a total of 4 hours, but she eventually found her way back to me. The previous motor was already sold, so I was back to square one and that's when I decided to go J-series.

Shell: 1992 cx auto
Motor: J35A1 (this whole time I thought it was a J35A4 ... doh!!)
Transmission: 7th Gen Accord 6Spd

I've had the motor in my possession for about 2 years and the transmission for a little over 10 months. The shell, 10 years!! It was my FIRST import that I wanted to build after seeing my friend's 93 VX Tahitian Green EG. Naturally it sat for many years as I collected body parts here and there. Fast forward past the last years of my teens and twenties, I'm now in my thirties and just now getting started on this with a fire burning to actually get it done!

Ordered Hasport EGJ2 mount kit a few days and got them in last week. Said "fuck it" this past weekend and decided to start dropping it in the shell -motor only for now and she sits on top of a steelie and wood to keep tension off the mounts while items are collected for the transmission. AASCO flywheel needs some repairs and I'm waiting on the flywheel and pressure plate bolts to come in from Honda. Will need the bolts to mate the transmission and motor, but haven't been able to identify which bolts in the Honda diagrams.

I'll leave some photos for what's been completed so far. Don't expect daily updates on this hehe

« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 03:15:22 am by hondatunedbboy »

Offline hondatunedbboy

• Helpfulness: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: hondatunedbboy's 1992 EG J35A1 Forever Build
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2017, 01:56:48 am »
Ordered what bolts I could identify for the trans-to-motor marriage and felt like mocking it up just to get an idea of what it will look like. My plan was to ship the flywheel off for repairs and order a new friction plate to get things rolling for the trans, but would still want to purchase new clutch kit. Little by little she will come together.

Next steps:
- Repair flywheel
- purchase new clutch
- purchase required ECU
- purchase new shift mechanism
- purchase required hardware for pedal-to-clutch actuation
- purchase new brake booster cylinder (previous was too brittle and fell apart upon disconnection)
- purchase rear disc brake conversion kit or source from salvage yard
- purchase required hardware for fuel delivery
- begin the hell that is wiring to get motor running
- upgrade suspension to support additional weight
- SOMEWHERE way down the line give some TLC to the exterior... ;D

Here are some pictures of the motor-trans mock up